Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday Musings: Invite Spring into Your Home

Mama's Little Treasures
Spring officially arrives Friday!
This has been an especially rough winter for many of us. (My heart goes out to Bostonians.)  We look forward to and beckon Spring--especially this year.

When I was in Junior High School (middle school for you youngin's), I had a friend, David. I called David to 'hang out' one day and he said he couldn't; his mother needed him. "It's the first day of Spring."  I'm thinking 'ya, so what.' He made it sound like Thanksgiving or Christmas--like I should know the significance of the day.

It seems that every Spring, David's mother had a tradition.  Mrs. Holt did the regular cleaning and organizing. The house would be spit-cleaned and polished. Then, on the first day of Spring, she would open every drawer, every cabinet, every closet, every window and every door.

Mrs. Holt was letting all of the old and stagnate air out of the house. She was inviting the transforming energy of Spring inside. Looking back on it now, I think that she was showing great reverence and respect for her house. She was paying homage to her home, her family and their belongings.
What a lovely tradition.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Holt was fenging some shui. I like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like the old tradition of opening the front door to let the new year in and opening the back door to let the old year out.
    There's something wonderful about opening your windows for the first time each spring - with temperatures expected in the 50's today might be the day!

    ReplyDelete