Monday, May 20, 2013

Do What You Want, Buddy*. I'm Trying to Help You Sell Your House


I don't get why clients want to argue with me.  But, I guess they tell their doctor they know best and challenge their spouse at every opportunity.

I had a consultation Sunday.  I only took a few pictures and will try to fill in the blanks.

There was a wall of windows and a door leading to a deck from the family room.  The sellers had a sofa in front of the door and a console table next to the sofa. Two club chairs were crunched together on the staircase wall.

I explained that the sofa needed to be flipped to the opposite wall. Buddy vehemently disagreed.

"No.  That door is stupid.  We don't even use that door." Buddy

"We are selling the windows, the view, and access to the deck." ME

Buddy does a bull snort then the moves sofa.

The console table needed to be moved, too.  There was a monster table next the the fireplace with a mirror over it that was overwhelming.  (Sorry, no picture.)

"We need to take the big table out and put the smaller console table in it's place." ME

"I made that table.  We like it in front of the windows." Buddy

"It is a beautiful table but it is blocking light and the view.  We are selling square footage. It will create the illusion of more space."  ME


AFTER sofa and chairs were flipped
This console table was in front of  the windows

Another picture after moving furniture*
 "Wow! The room REALLY does look bigger." Buddy

*Disclaimer:  This house WAS NOT STAGED. I was illustrating the difference staging makes.  The first time I posted this I referred to the client as an asshole.  Prudence and comments from my readers encouraged me to change the offensive term.

12 comments:

  1. OMG, Your job is really tough sometimes. You say the right things...ITS NOT YOU!!!!!! Hope you have a great stressfree week.
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commiserating Nancy. I do TRY and say the right things!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha just your post title made me laugh. Have a glass of wine after that client!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it made you laugh! All, part of the job, ha!

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, that would be so frustrating!! Your job definitely takes patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to be patient. Most folks only sell a couple of houses (Patty, I know you are the exception). They might catch a few TV shows on staging but their knowledge is limited. I also realize I am working on something VERY personal to them. Good to hear from yu Brooke.

      Delete
  4. Hi there! Very funny :)!!! Yes, 34 to be exact! We are in our 35th. Although some were temporary rentals. No staging involved, just thorough cleaning to get back our deposits!!
    Staging is an ART! Your choice of career can be extremely stressful....It's challenging but can get you down now and then......But when it turns out good, what a joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty! This was a consultation. I knew I had to move furniture on the spot for them to 'get' what I was talking about.

      Delete
  5. I don't know how you do it....people just can't see past what they are used to. Doesn't matter that they are the only ones who think that door is "stupid" (by the way, how can a door be stupid?). My ex-MIL had this gigantic electric fireplace that she insisted go into a hallway - didn't matter that she couldn't move around it - it "belonged" there. The realtor tried to tell her, we tried to tell her. But she insisted and then couldnt' understand why people said the condo was small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, bet you are glad your strong-minded MIL is your EX-MIL! The door is 'stupid' because they disagreed with the builder placing it there.
      I do tell people that I am giving them advice on how to sell their house--they can take it or leave it. Unfortunately, I DO get personally invested in my work and it is frustrating when folks don't heed my advice. Always love hear from you, my friend!

      Delete