Monday, January 7, 2013

Detour in Design Plans

This is a great house that is coming onto the market soon.  When I met with the clients, I urged them to update their kitchen. Kitchens sell houses. The house has gorgeous features and the kitchen needs to compliment the overall appeal of the house.
Linda Beam

This is the "feeling" I want for their traditional kitchen.  (Remember I'm always saying buyers look at the house based on stats: location, price, and amenities. But they buy based on emotion.)
House Beautiful
Here's the seller's current kitchen.

The Original Plan:
#1 Paint the Golden Oak Cabinets white.
#2 Replace ivory Corian Countertops with Carrera Marble. (See example below.)
#3 Add white Subway Tile backsplash.
GardenWeb

Well, the clients emailed me and told me they would not be painting the cabinets.  The price was over-the-top-crazy-high. (I will to send my painting contractor out to give them a quote.)  At this point, it looks like the cabinets will remain Golden Oak.

Truthfully, I don't have a problem with Corian countertops.  The realtor requested they be changed to granite.  The owner's are leaning towards Venetian Gold.  I think the Venetian Gold granite with the Golden Oak cabinets will be too GOLD-N-Y.

So, my lovelies, what would your approach be to updating this kitchen?  I toss this out to all of you wonderfully creative folks to get your opinions on what you would do to update this kitchen.  What would you use for a backsplash?  Countertops? 

Please remember:  This is updating for resale.  It needs to be neutral and budget friendly. The sellers already changed all of the cabinet hardware and won't be replacing it again.

I look forward to your take. Thanks!

Happy Monday, y'all.


19 comments:

  1. It is a real shame the clients are not listening to your advice. Their kitchen looks very plain and not remarkable. If their housing market is like most, they need to make their home memorable in a good way! I too don't think I mind the Corian and I doubt that the granite is going pay off regardless of what finish they chose.
    Plain and simple...no one wants oak cabinets now! I'd like to mention I've just found your blog this morning and I LOVE it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamyra! I hope that you will follow me! I hope I can get them to change their mind on painting. My painting contractor is going to be much less expensive.

      Delete
  2. I can't agree with the Realtor..what's wrong with Corian? The kitchen looks very generic! BUT... Give up on the clients working with the cabinets, etc. Maybe give some bling or interest to the dining area? Are they willing to spend any money? Window treatments or something added to give it personality.
    Of course, after MC and I discovered Annie Sloan's Chalk paint our cabinets changed in three days for less than $175. But I realize that wood lovers cringe at painting "wood"! And I have to admit for resale, not a good way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Patty. The dining area needs some amping up. I'll do that with staging. The sellers did paint their bathroom cabinets and the look wonderful. But,it was a huge job and they aren't willing to put that much work in. You and MC come up with the best solutions!

      Delete
  3. If you do that they won't want to leave :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Gina. A facelift on this kitchen could make a world of difference!

      Delete
  4. We recently painted our oak cabinates white and are very pleased with the results. You are right.. The kitchen has to be right. Such a lovely home on the exterior!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leslie! Thanks for commenting. I'd love to hear what color white you painted your cabinets. The whole house is gorgeous--except the kitchen.

      Delete
  5. I'd have to say skip the granite and paint the cabinets. No one wants those cabinets anymore and the buyer who does not mind the golden oak won't mind painted cabinets either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your vote to paint Kerry! That's why I put it out there--to see what you talented people recommend. I meet with the owners on Friday. I hope I can convince them to paint.

      Delete
  6. Uggh. If only they'd listen. Painting the cabinets and working with the corian counter should be way less $$ than replacing the counters. The white on white HB pic you showed is awesome. Stick to it, I just had a client who reverted to all an over beiege paint scheme during Christmas break. I think they got scared but they just emailed me and told me they went back to our original darker plan and thanked me for pushing them a little. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping I sway them to my way of thinking. (The realtor may be a whole different thing to deal with.) HGTV dictates that a house must have granite to sell. Crap-o-la!

      Delete
  7. If the sellers don't want to update their kitchen, how about changing the wall color to something more modern and jazz it up a little that way. Changing the rug and adding splashes of color throughout the kitchen area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea about changing the paint color, Karen. However, the kitchen adjoins the living room which is the same color (no door or wall to separate). And, yes I will be adding color and replacing those braided rugs! Love hearing your comments!

      Delete
  8. Sigh. Really? The realtor says it should be granite? People really want to buy a old and dated oak kitchen with granite countertops? It boggles me it really does. But if they keep saying that's what it should be then it must work. Love your plans for it! Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Maria! I THINK the cabinets might get painted. My contractor was far less expensive. The seller found a wholesale stone company that is running a special of $1800 for granite and the installation--not bad. I meet with them at the stone company tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  9. replica bags forum more information k9e13u2m39 replica bags louis vuitton have a peek at this website s0a21a3c14 fake louis vuitton replica bags from china replica bags replica gucci handbags k1r61q0b47 replica bags from turkey

    ReplyDelete